Criminal Law Facts
You Should Know
10-20-Life-There are mandatory minimum sentences for persons convicted of any gun charges.
- If adjudicated guilty of a “Jimmy Ryce” crime, you will be declared a sexual offender and listed for the public.
- A person cannot be sentenced to death on a sex crime.
- If you are adjudicated guilty of ANY drug charge in the State of Florida, you WILL have your license suspended by the DMV for 2 years.
- If it is negotiated that adjudication is
withheld, thanyour license will not be suspended.
- You may be eligible for Drug Court or alternative sentence.
- You are not eligible for a downward departure if charged with a Narcotics Trafficking.
DWLS (Driving While License Suspended)
If you have three Driving While License Suspended tickets within the past five years, you will be declared a habitual offender, and your license will be revoked for five years. Also, the next one will be filed as a
DUI (Driving Under the Influence)
- You have ten days to challenge your license suspension with the DMV.
- The State needs probable cause to conduct a DUI investigation, not just probable cause for the stop.